CSR: Guiding How We Do Business
BNP Paribas Real Estate Investment Management (BNP Paribas REIM) is committed to corporate social responsibility (CSR) and sees it not just as a moral necessity but as fundamental to how we do business. Our CSR practices permeate the company from our board down to the operational, fund and asset level. We take an integrated approach and strive to surpass the standards that we set ourselves each year. Our CSR commitment is reshaping investment decisions, particularly in the field of sustainability. We aim to manage the risks associated with a real estate asset to the benefit of the environment and society.
CSR in asset management translates into measures such as optimising a building’s energy consumption and ensuring accessibility by clean transport. These goals are integrated into an asset’s business plan. Each year more of the assets that we manage achieve energy and/or environmental certification. BNP Paribas REIM applies its own CSR guidelines to its business activities while also benefiting from the overarching social responsibility framework of the BNP Paribas Group. We regard the two approaches as interdependent.
In 2019, BNP Paribas REIM published its Responsible Commitment Statement. This document aims to summarize the responsible approach of its investment strategy in the same way as that of its asset management strategy. The Responsible Commitment Statement is available in: French and English.
Four Pillars Support Our CSR Strategy
- Economic responsibility
Building innovative products and services with our clients and partners in an ethical and responsible manner
- Environmental responsibility
Reducing the environmental impact of our businesses and making environmental quality a material driver of an asset’s performance
- Social responsibility
Improving our employees’ quality of life and enabling them to develop new skills and competences. Gender equality and diversity are among our core values
- Civic responsibility
Setting an example as a responsible corporate citizen by contributing to society through local initiatives
Our CSR Approach Means Maintaining Dialogue with Our Stakeholders
Dialogue lies at the heart of how BNP Paribas REIM does business. Each day we interact with investors, tenants, employees, suppliers and other stakeholders. We learn and share best CSR practice by actively participating in a number of professional associations and other forums, including:
- Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) – via BNP Paribas REIM France, since 2012, we have supported the six principles and the PRI’s work on promoting Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) issues
- GRESB – the organisation assesses several of our funds’ portfolios for ESG performance
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) – most of the group's executives are fellows of RICS, the global professional body that promotes standards in real estate
- Association Française des Sociétés de Placement Immobilier (ASPIM) – we are a founding member of this French association of real estate investment companies
- Association Française de Gestion Financière (AFG) – we are a member of France’s asset management association